Thursday, June 28, 2012

Nan and Her Czech Plum Dumplings

My Czech grandmother (we all called her Nan), used to make plum dumplings. She called them "Siskas," which she pronounced as "Sheesh-kaz." I haven't been able to find this name and this recipe together on the internet. Czech websites call them, "'Svestkove Knedliky." Is her word how you pronounce, "Svestkove?" I don't know. 


I do know that she often had nicknames for things, (which reminds me a lot of me), but her nicknames were in Czech, lol. 


My Mom and I have been dying to make some plum dumplings. We remember Nan's recipe. I also did a search on the internet to see if I could find similarities to her recipe. Most of the Czech recipes call for bread crumbs (to be fried in butter before the cooked dumplings are added).

Nan never used bread crumbs when she made her recipe. She would either use cinnamon, sugar and butter or the same combination with a little cottage cheese thrown in. Then you tossed the cooked dumplings in the mixture. 


This recipe is really, really, really good. As soon as we find some proper plums, it is a definite, "Go!" I'm not sure if we'll be able to find them locally. The plums Nan used were a smaller variety. They used to carry them at the local grocery store because there were so many Czech and German families in the area. Now, not so much. So it may take some footwork to find the right dumplings. Regular plums can be used, but you have to cut them up, rather than using the whole plum. 


You never knew what you might walk into when you walked into Nan's kitchen, but whether it was fresh kolache, streudel, or plum dumplings, it was always a nice surprise! 








If you've ever experienced this fabulous plum dumplings recipe, please drop me a line. 


As always, Happy Eating! :)





1 comment:

Unknown said...

I grew up eating plum dumplings that my mother made and they too were boiled like your recipe. Although we had plum trees, my mother often used canned plums she would drain well and we'd eat the dumplings with sugar and the plum syrup/juice from the canned plums. We often had them for dinner and us kids would fight over how many we got to eat! My grandparents were Bohemian and they also had funny Czech names for things. I still don't know what it means, but my Grandmother used to say something like "Yada Nechie" when something surprised her. I wish I knew more about my grandparents, but when I was young I didn't think to ask and my parents don't remember much any more. Loved seeing your blog!
Ann Hlavka