Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Costco Product Review: Mission Hill Bistro Sliced Beef Brisket

 We recently took a trip to Costco after a lengthy hiatus. While we were there we decided to buy something for the 4th of July meal. It was an "impulse buy" that happened because the sample was so tasty, (which doesn't happen often, at least not on my part). We don't buy pre-cooked food like this on a regular basis, but once in a while it is okay. 

I am usually leery of products like this because of experience with them in the past. Sometimes you hit a winner, sometimes not. As far as smoked brisket is concerned, it's usually the latter. But we were at Costco, so the line of thought was that the product would be superior to those purchased in the past. In addition to that, in wasn't a sample consumed under duress by hunger, because we'd already had lunch. Taste buds are more objective when hunger is removed from the equation, at least to a degree, (That's just my opinion though. Your mileage may vary).

Mission Hill Bistro Sliced Beef Brisket

Here is the package of the Mission Hill Bistro Sliced Beef Brisket. I should have taken a picture before I opened it, but I didn't think about writing a review until I had already mangled it. I didn't want to cadge a photo from another website, so this is what I have. You may have seen Mission Hill Bistro products elsewhere. If I remember correctly, we purchased a beef roast dinner from Costco a couple of years ago that was the Mission Hill Bistro brand. 


This brisket is good. It's not like brisket from a BBQ joint, of course, but for a pre-cooked brisket, it is very tasty. There is no odd "aftertaste" like I've experienced from pre-cooked briskets (or other pre-cooked meats) in the past. It has a smoke ring, and the slices are very thin. It was jumbled in the package, just a big clump of meat, not neatly laid out in rows. There was solidified beef fat visible in the package, but not to the extreme. It had just the right amount, instead of being totally steeped in fat. 

I was going to put the whole shebang in the oven, but I opted to follow the heating instructions, at least loosely, because it was slightly frozen after being stored in our refrigerator's bottom bin. You can heat it entirely in a microwave, or you can heat it in the microwave followed by a stovetop visit in a pan with a tiny bit of oil. I did the latter. You don't need a lot of oil, I may have used 2 or 3 tablespoons. 

This brisket is tasty even without any adornments. I had my sauce on the side. I think it would be great for brisket tacos too, among other things. There were at least two pounds of brisket in the package and the price was reasonable. 

I was curious about the source of the beef, so I conducted a search on the company. Mission Hill Bistro is a trademark of Stampede Meat, which was founded in 1995. According to their website, they are "an innovative protein solutions company," and they have 5 facilities in the U.S. Four are in the Chicago area, and one is in New Mexico, where they converted a plant that used to belong to Tyson Foods. The New Mexico plant had its grand opening in 2018. 

Last year, the company filed a lawsuit in federal court after it was ordered to close the New Mexico facility for two weeks in November of 2020 because of the number of COVID-19 cases reported there. The lawsuit was settled in March of this year. You can read more about that here: Las Cruces Sun News

Stampede Meat has a blog on their website, and there's a post there from September of 2020 that is of interest. The company received an "infectious disease prevention certification" in Illinois. They were taking the proper steps to protect their employees, so I don't believe that the lawsuit they filed in New Mexico was a simple matter of greed. That is my opinion. One of the other reasons they fought against closure was the millions of pounds meat that would have to be destroyed if they closed for those two weeks, according to their pleadings in the lawsuit. I do recall reading about other companies throwing food away last year when facilities had to be closed. 

But everything "on paper" looks pretty good as far as Stampede Meat is concerned. They donated food to frontline workers, implemented a home delivery system for consumers to help slow the spread of COVID-19, and they had onsite COVID-19 vaccinations in both New Mexico and Illinois. They are taking the pandemic seriously. Kudos to them for that. 

I looked for employee reviews that were on other sites to get an idea about working conditions. The average for the company is about 3 out of 5 stars. Long hours, too cold, not enough breaks, and the need for better compensation were some of the complaints. Other former employees said there is room for advancement at the company, and there are benefits available. 

The company is also very concerned about food safety and has a program that exceeds USDA Food Safety standards. All of this inspires me to purchase their products again in the future.

As far as company sources for unprocessed products, well, they do use sources here in the U.S., and I can definitively say that they have imported beef products from Canada, Australia, and Mexico, according to the bills of lading available for view on import databases. I think we can assume they use imports from other countries as well, since the U.S. is ranked as one of the top importers in the world, and one of the main suppliers of meat in the U.S. is Stampede Meat, according to the Garay Company. If you have any insight about any of the info I posted here, feel free to share it and I'll happily add it and/or make corrections. 

Verdict: Mission Hill Bistro Sliced Beef Brisket is a good product that you can feel safe about consuming, thanks to the stringent standards of Stampede Beef, and the product has no "off-putting" aftertaste.

Mission Hill brisket, homemade potato salad, 
homemade sauce, chili beans

 

 



12 comments:

Mary Lou Arnold said...

Nice review! I also bought the Mission Hill Brisket at Costco and went back for more today - nada :( I'll keep looking because we thought it was very good!

Unknown said...

BUYER BEWARE I purchased the Mission Hill Bistro Burnt Ends last week at Costco.

Jerome said...

I'm going to have to try this out next time I see it in Costco. For me, the prepared meals like these have been hit or miss. I much prefer the frozen foods that can be easily made into a meal like the Costco Chicken Patties over some of the prepackaged ones like this or the tikka masala chicken.

JoanR said...

I purchased the Mission Hill Burnt Ends beef brisket. The package said it contained 1.44 Lbs, and I paid $18.42, but that weight included the hideously large sauce packet (I didn’t have kitchen scales but it easily weighed 6-8 ounces). Some reviews on this site said the brisket was sliced. Mine was as stated on the package, ‘burnt ends.’ One doesn’t expect restaurant quality and it was okay. I thought it was over-priced for the amount of meat (approx one pound). Would not buy again, and not recommend.

Anonymous said...

I purchased the Mission Hill Bistro Smoked Beef Brisket z burnt Ends product from Costco in August, 2022. I put it in the freezer to have as a fast meal when needed after working all day. It was very tasty but all 3 adults were constantly pulling muscle and fat chunks out of our mouths. We also had a 4 year old who had to have his meal cut up into small pieces. The box said it had 4 servings. There were only 7 chunks of meat in the package and looking at all the parts we couldn’t eat, it was barely 3 servings!!!!!!! I understand meat prices are going up but paying $12.79 a pound for this I feel I was cheated. I will not buy this product again!!!

Lyn said...

The package I got was a repulsive glob of fat, with a gristle chaser. It lookd absolutely nothing like the photo.

I'm a Texan, I never thought I woild spit out barbeque.

Anonymous said...

This post is about the 2# brisket slices. The burnt ends are a different product and there’s a post about the burnt ends on this blog too.

Anonymous said...

This post is about the sliced brisket, not the burnt ends. There is a separate post on this blog re: the burnt ends.

Anonymous said...

This post is about the sliced brisket, not the burnt ends, which is a different product. There is a post on this blog re: the burnt ends and it is not complimentary. The burnt ends suck. The sliced brisket is actually pretty good.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you purchased the burnt ends. This post is about the sliced brisket. There is a post on this blog re: the burnt ends. If you read it you will notice that that product did not get a good review, because the burnt ends suck. The sliced brisket is actually pretty good and there’s no rip-off sauce included with the sliced version. You should have taken it back on Costco or called them. They have a great policy re: returns.

James Gosnell said...

Just tried it, way too much salt, if I don't have a problem with all the salt we (the wife & I) won't be buying it again.

trag said...

I love the (Mission Hill Bistro) sliced brisket at CostCo. I found it there one Spring a couple of years ago, tried it, went back for more and it was gone. It's a great way to satisfy my frequent craving for brisket without having to go to a BBQ joint and shell out $20 - $30/lb.

It's not quite as good as local BBQ (Central TX), but it is better than many of them -- just not as good as the best.

I think it might have been a seasonal product at the time.

The next year when it showed up, I bought about 30 pounds and put it in the freezer. It was about $8/lb at that time and came in the soft vacuum plastic pouches as shown in the review.

Now it comes in a cardboard tray and is about $12/lb. Best investment I made that year. Buy at $8/lb, eat at $12/lb. :-)

Anyway, I recommend it. Goes pretty well with the Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce that Costco sells....