Wednesday, June 22, 2022

It’s Egg Awareness Day

 



Just kidding! I just wanted to say something about eggs. 😆 

Unfortunately for us, we are sans chickens at the moment, so we have to buy eggs at the store or from a local who has chickens. 

But I want you to take a look at the eggs above. What do you immediately notice? (besides the cracked egg over there on the top left)

If you said: "Some of the stamps are blurry," then that's the answer I was looking for. 

You might already know this, but for those who don't, the blurry stamps are due to temperature fluctuations, because condensation will form on the outside of the eggs if they get warm. Maybe the store is having cooler issues, or maybe the eggs were abandoned somewhere in the store & were without refrigeration for a while. Who knows? (That's a big pet peeve of mine, because whoever leaves food somewhere that warms or defrosts sucks as a human. All they have to do is hand it over to the cashier if they don't want it. But no. They leave it on a shelf somewhere where it might sit for hours. Food wasters. SMH)

Anyway, watch out for that if you don't already. I had to go through about 5 cartons before I found one that had clean stamps and no broken eggs. (I ended up switching a couple of eggs out anyway.)


ALWAYS CHECK YOUR EGGS BEFORE BUYING. You never know how many might be broken or cracked in there, and it will save you time and money to do that extra little step. 

The eggs that warmed a bit and then cooled again were probably fine, but I like to get ahead of the game on that, just in case.  

It's always a good idea to check the eggs before placing them in your cart. I know not everyone does this, because I have seen people put eggs in their carts without checking them. Many times. 

I had to bring it up, because who feels like driving all the way back to the store for an exchange? Not me. 

Also, if any break or crack in transit, at least you'll know when it happened and you can salvage the eggs (depending on the damage). I'm not going to use them if I buy them without looking and they are broken, but if they break or crack in transit I'll put them in another container as first in line for use. They'll be A-OK for 2 or 3 days in a glass container with a lid that seals well. 

That's my egg tip for the day. Cheerio! 

No comments: