Tuesday, June 8, 2021

French Pastry Update

Photo Courtesy of demi, CC BY 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons

A Toast to Success! 

I have decided to postpone any further testing for the French Pastry experiment, and will instead focus on presentation. Yesterday when I opened the storage container with the remainder of the experiment, I was immediately alerted by the enticing aroma of French Pastry and transported back in time. It was as if I had an original French Pastry in my hand and had just opened the package. 

So, to test this out, I had to try another piece. It was stellar! I wasn't even thinking about "cure time" for the pastries, but that is exactly what they needed. I am over the moon about this. I hope it will bring others joy too, and soothe the palates of those who adored these sweet treats as much as I did. 

I'll post the exact recipe I used for each element in a future post, as well as the method & equipment I used. This is IT! My taste buds never fail me (except when they are knocked off the grid on occasion when I get a cold or flu). 

This is fabulous news for French Pastry lovers! I know they are out there because I have found posts lamenting the fact that they are gone and sadness because no one can find a decent recipe. 

I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to work on presentation. I wish I could email samples of these so people could try them. 

Wouldn't it be funny if Bimbo took the old recipe out of the "Mrs. Baird's Vault" and started churning them out all of a sudden? That would be pretty hilarious. 😂

On another note, there is at least one other food item I would love to conquer. Enchiritos. No, not the ones they put back on in recent years, (and I don't know if they are even still on the menu because I never go to Taco Bell anymore). I'm talking about the original Enchiritos from way back. They had a hybrid tortilla. Then they took it off the menu, and years later, when they brought it back, they used a boring, crappy flour tortilla. So that was a disappointment. Anyway,  the rest of the Enchirito ingredients aren't hard to emulate, but that hybrid tortilla...well, that's the holdup. But that is for another day. Today we enjoy French Pastry and celebrate a success! 

Photo Courtesy of Jackie RGarcia, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss these treats from my school days. Do you still plan to post a recipe? Either way, thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Michele said...

Yes. I have been itching to get in the kitchen and make these again. We haven't been using the oven much because of the extreme heat, but I'm going to do this soon. I'm thinking about making a steam cake version instead, since that method wouldn't generate as much heat. Soon though....very soon....lol