Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Belated Butterfinger Review & Crunch Test




I came in late in the game on this one. I had no idea that the Butterfinger brand was bought by Ferrero about 5 years ago (or so). I don't eat a lot of candy, so I don't feel bad about missing the memo, except I might have purchased a bar a little more frequently if I had known. Maybe. 😆

For those who didn't know, I will provide a brief summary. It might be brief. It could get a little longer. That happens sometimes. 

I was reading, (it might have been in Quora), when I ran across a post about Butterfinger. Quite a few people were complaining and whining about it, because it wasn't the same. So I'm thinking..."bought by Ferrero, how bad could it be?" I remember having one at least once since it happened, and it tasted great. Better than usual. But I was really hungry when I ate it on a work break, so I didn't think much about it at the time. 

So of course I had to get one for a taste test. I mean really...Ferrero. Ferrero, for Pete's sake, purveyors of the lovely Ferrero Rocher confections that are so well-loved. 

No artificial flavors or colors. I can dig that. That's the problem with a lot of the lower-priced candy these days. When I was growing up, we didn't have 10,000 variations of candy bars. We had a few good choices, and they were good until many of them started being made with cheaper ingredients. 

I can use the Nestle Crunch Bar as an example. It was always satisfying, but in later years, it started tasting too "waxy." I stopped buying it. It just wasn't enjoyable anymore. Not long ago I bought one just to see if it was better or worse. I was pleasantly surprised because it was very good. I did not know that Ferrero was responsible for that change. That is another brand they purchased, along with 100 Grand & Baby Ruth. (I will be trying those again soon.)

Check this link for additional brands: Ferrero. Like...Keebler! That was another nice surprise, because Keebler cookie flavors went south over the years too. 

But back to good ol' Butterfinger. I have no complaints. Sometimes companies "improve"  or sell a brand to another company and the results are very disappointing, (I point to Coke & Wolf Hot Dog Chili Sauce as great big losers in that department. Coke was never the same after the "change" & change back. Wolf had great hot dog sauce, discontinued it, brought it back, and now it sucks). 

But Butterfinger? Delicious! It might be a little less crunchy than before, but that's it. It is still crunchy enough for satisfaction, IMO. 

I conducted a crunch test just for grins. 

Here it is right out of the package, I snapped it in two: 


Next was a bite test. Two bites:


And the crumbs left after it was completely consumed:


I tried my best to contain them as I ate the bar over the plate, but some did escape. It fractured nicely, as you can see in the photos. 😂

I don't know what all of the complaining is about. The chocolate is nice and "chocolatey," the filling is satisfyingly crunchy. I only bought one bar that day. I totally would have eaten another if I had had one. 

For more entertainment, search for copycat recipes on the internet. There is the original copycat recipe, and one that uses candy corn. Yes. Candy corn. I saw several of those. Maybe it works? But I am not a fan of candy corn, so I'd go for the original copycat first. 

Two thumbs up and if I had more thumbs, Butterfinger would definitely get more thumb votes. Try it out if you haven't lately. 

No comments: