Sunday, August 1, 2021

Costco Product Review: Safe Catch Ahi Tuna - An Encore Performance


Ahi Encore

Too bad it's not albacore tuna, then I could have titled this: "Encore for Albacore." 😆

I popped open what I thought was the last can of this lovely tuna yesterday. (Turns out there was another hidden in the food safe, so we're not out just yet.) 

I decided to make the classic "Tuna Salad" with this one. As promised in the  original Safe Catch review, I took a picture of it after I took it out of the can and before I crumbled it up: 


Not very impressive, huh? Don't let that fool you. 


It gets even better...


Look at those lovely chunks! 


And here it is, shredded and ready for the rest of the ingredients. The difference this time is: I did not drain the tuna. I was doing some reading on the Safe Catch website and there was a mention about leaving the liquid in to be absorbed after the tuna was shredded for use. Out of habit, I drained the last can and let one of the tuna loving doggies have the "tuna juice." (I had to give her a consolation prize this time.)

Tuna Salad

When I make tuna salad, I do it one of three ways depending on mood: 

1. I add mayo, a little lemon juice, and S&P (maybe just P-it depends on the tuna)

2. I add mayo, mustard, chopped pickles, a chopped hard-boiled egg, a dash of Tabasco, a little lemon juice, and S&P. 

3. I make "PMF Tuna Salad." I'm not going to translate that here because I'd like to keep the blog "Rated PG," so use your imagination or send me an email. 😄

For PMF Tuna Salad, see the pics below. I add chopped pickles, chopped egg white, and employ a special method for the rest of the ingredients. 

This is it: 
  • I mash the egg yolk in a separate bowl... 
  • Add 1 to 1 1/2 Tbsps. mayo, (Duke's Mayo is the current reigning champion in this house)
  • Add 1/2 to 1 tsp. Dijon mustard 
  • Add a couple of squeezes of lemon juice (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 tsp.) 
  • Add  about 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • Add a dash of Tabasco
  • Add 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. of shaved/pulverized onion (red, but white will do) 
  • Add 1 to 1 1/2 tsps. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (omit this step if tuna is packed in oil)
  • Add S&P
As for the onion, what I really go for is the "essence of onion." Just a few drops of onion juice -- it's not even necessary to have pieces or onion pulp. But under no circumstances should chunks of onion be allowed. If it's terrible tuna, that's one thing. But not for this tuna. We want to showcase the wonderful flavor, not kill it with too much onion. 

If you like your tuna salad to have even more of a crunchy texture (aside from the pickles), you can add a tiny bit of celery to it, but not too much. Try to add something that's a little more bland for texture, like chopped water chestnuts. Celery and I are always on shaky terms, as you can read here: "The Atrocious Fetor of Celery."

I only use one hard-boiled egg per can of tuna when I make tuna salad. (You know, if I wanted an egg salad, I'd make an egg salad.) 2 eggs per can is just too much for me. Of course, if food was scarce and the tuna salad needed to be stretched. I would use more than one egg. Absolutely. (BTDT, got the shirt.) I'm picky about certain food items and at present, I'm fortunate enough so that I can be picky about it. Hence the title of this PMF Tuna Salad. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out the rest of the words now. 😀


Stir all ingredients until well incorporated...


Then add the "PMF Dressing" to the tuna and the other elements and mix well. 

Add more mayo if that's your wish, but I always abide by the "Rule for Salad Dressings" and simply "cloak" the ingredients with the dressing, rather than drown them in it. 

That brings to mind a local eatery here that makes a delightful broccoli salad...or it would be if the vegetables weren't screaming for lifesaver rings because they're drowning. Okay, it USED to be delightful, but someone decided that it needed more dressing (it doesn't). I haven't ordered it again since that happened though. Maybe it was simply a mistake. 

So CLOAK your ingredients, Folks! Do you want to end up on the local grapevine? 

Gossip Hound #1: "She offered me a tuna sandwich, but I couldn't find the tuna!"

Gossip Hound #2: "Really? We have to warn everybody!" 

Okay. I digress. Let's carry on, shall we? 

Tuna cloaked in PMF Dressing


Grand Finale

This tuna salad called for an unobtrusive bread...not a bread with flavors that would overpower the taste of the tuna, i.e. - "a bread that's better for your health." I'll try it with healthier bread eventually, but this time I used plain ol' Wonder Bread. I use it on occasion when I want to taste the ingredients more than the bread (like with PB&J). 

Was it good? It was VERY good. Was it better the next day? Oh YES! So make it the night before you'll use it, if you can. That usually works if you're making it for a party or something, but if you're like me, when I crave a tuna sandwich, I want it immediately, so in that case...just make plenty so you have leftovers! 

PMF Tuna Salad on "Throwback" Bread
Served on a practically vintage platter

Happy Eating! 

No comments: