Sunday, September 3, 2023

Divine Deviled Eggs - The Secret Ingredient

 


Secret or not so secret. For all I know, many do this already. But if you don't, please check it out, because this version is a really good one. This is not my opinion only though. These were field-tested.  ðŸ˜†

I was actually looking for something neutral to use because we were getting low on mayo, and also because I get tired of running out of filling before all of the eggs are filled to a reasonable capacity. Not a problem with this recipe. There was plenty of filling with a little left over after overloading the egg halves. Say....YEAH!!!!! That's what I'm talkin' about! 

Non-traditional format for recipe posting because as I was typing it out, I just typed out exactly what I did and in what order. So that is how I am posting it here:

Boil 12 eggs in your usual way. (My way is to start them in cold water, set timer for 20 minutes, turn them off when they reach a rolling boil, then pull them when the timer goes off.)

This yielded 12 yolks & 3 white halves that didn't make the cut. Mashed them finely with a potato masher. (Actually, it would probably be considered a bean masher because of the smaller holes. Or heck... just use a fork. That would work too. lol)


The rest of these are approximate:

2 Tbsps mayo (Duke's)

1/4 cup cottage cheese

1 1/2 Tbsps dill relish

3 dashes of Tabasco (garlic flavored)

Pinch of cayenne

1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

1/4 tsp finely grated red (purple) onion (I used a tiny garlic grater. You really just need the juice, no chunks necessary. It is for enhancement only. You won't even be able to tell it is there, but your tastebuds will appreciate it.)

1 - 1/2 tsps Grey Poupon 

S&P to your taste ( I used Kosher salt)

I used the masher to mash & mix everything together thoroughly.

Paprika for garnish optional, but it does contribute to the flavor, so DOOOOOO IIIIIIIIIT.....lmao

Adjust S&P if necessary

Sprinkle S&P on the halves before filling. 

The filling was light & fluffy and had a great flavor. I had to make another batch immediately because the first one went to a birthday party.  

So...In this order: 

yolks & whites (mash well)
then mash in:
cottage cheese
mayo
mustard
W sauce
tabasco
onion
S&P
cayenne

Mash well, then add relish & mix & mash that in too. 

Load the halves with a spoon, pastry bag, or just use a Ziplock or similar... (load it, cut a corner off to make a makeshift pastry bag. It does make things easier.)

Any questions, just ask! 

Also, share your favorite version here too! There are so many great variations out there!

No comments: